google5fdb2843fc4f1b5b.html Rock Chic: An interview with South African blues-rocker Dan Patlansky

Monday 22 January 2018

An interview with South African blues-rocker Dan Patlansky


With the release of his new album Perfection Kills imminent and the start of his March tour drawing ever closer, we chat with Dan Patlansky on the inspirations that have carried him to become the blues-rocker he is today.
Interview by Annette Valentine 

Where have you been hiding Dan?
I live in South Africa, it's only the last couple of years I've started kind of doing shows in the UK so in the scheme of things I'm fairly fresh here.

You've cut your teeth as a support act so now it's time to shine in your own light. You’ve managed to create that live sound on your upcoming album Perfection Kills too, right?  
Our main aim was to sound live on recordings so it's got that energy that live shows have. We tried very hard to incorporate that element into this album.

Each song has its own story, or personality even…..
One of the things I do is maximize each song with dynamics, like soft or loud, extreme dynamic playing on it. And sure, it’s a kind of story, it has to have a beginning, middle, an end, and go somewhere.

You make your guitar talk and maximize your instruments; it's so easy to see that you are incredibly gifted.
Oh, thank you very much!

Which song do you enjoy performing the most?
On my previous album Still Wanna Be Your Man and Backbite too, those are some of my favourites.

How long have you been playing?
Since I was 12. I'm almost 36 so half my life I've been playing live, since I was 18.

Do you still teach by the way?
I do guitar weekends, twice a year in South Africa.

Who are the famous artists you have studied or looked up to on your musical journey? 
Steve Redbourne is one, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd had the biggest influence on me.

What song would you say moves you emotionally?
Led Zeppelin’s The Rain Song for sure.

Where would you like to be in ten years?
Selling out the Royal Albert Hall would be a good one; that would be absolutely fantastic! Or doing what I'm doing now, it's a massive passion of mine.

Where would you be right now if you could blink your eyes?
With my family, without a doubt. When I get the opportunity, it’s great and it’s important to make the most of that valuable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment