google5fdb2843fc4f1b5b.html Rock Chic: Interview with Jared James Nichols

Monday 16 October 2017

Interview with Jared James Nichols


Interview by Anselm Anderson
RC: Your new album Black Magic is very eclectic, while encompassing different styles. How much did this play a part in your creative process when preparing the album?Black Magic is the result of three years of touring constantly. I didn’t want to pigeon-hole myself with the new album. It was very purposeful to write a variety of songs and I feel I wanted to leave listeners with a bigger picture for what’s to come. It may be eclectic, but it all still comes back to the blues in the end.

RC: Where did the title Black Magic come from?The title is a take on THE blues; remember when they used to call it the “Devil’s music”? Although it seems much more tame by today’s standards, it is still undeniably powerful. If the blues is the “Devil’s music” then I am a student of the black magic!

RC: You describe Jessica Childress, who provided backing vocals on Honey Forgive Me, as your favourite female singer. Could you explain a little bit about her and how you came to discover her for this album?Jessica is an amazing singer, so much soul! I’ve known her for years now and it has been amazing to watch her career grow and grow. The reason I love what she does is because of her natural feel. She has that thing! When she sings, it gives me goose bumps. I’m absolutely honoured to have her on the record.

RC: You’ve had the privilege of playing with some legendary musicians such as Zakk Wylde, Walter Trout, ZZ Top and Lynryd Skynryd. Which would you say was the biggest honour for you?All of them. I feel so privileged to have played with some of my heroes. I never even dreamed that far with my music and to be able to call these people my friends is still crazy to me. Above all, Zakk Wylde has absolutely made me a better guitarist and musician.

RC: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd was so impressed with you during your tour in Germany, he invited you on stage to perform Sweet Home Alabama. What was that experience like for you?Unreal. I still can’t believe it actually happened. I was unbelievably nervous! I’ll never forget that night.

RC: You grew up near The Alpine Valley Resort, which is where Stevie Ray Vaughan performed his last show. Did that have any bearing on your musical ambitions?Totally, Stevie is one of my biggest influences ever. I connected early on with his spirit and feel. Again, it’s pretty crazy to think I grew up within earshot of his final performance place.

RC: What tips would you give any blues players currently trying to break into the industry?Play what you love, be real with your music. Serve the music only, not your ego. The music business is a revolving door - people coming and going. The ones that I see continue to grow are those who treat people with respect and are amazing at what they do. Be the best you can be and go for it. Surround yourself with those who inspire.

RC: What was it like to tour with Brit greats Saxon and U.F.O this year on home turf? Such a treat to open up on the two North American legs of the tour. Both are total professional acts with amazing fans and music. I’ve learned a lot hanging out with these bands. Again, it’s such an honour to warm up the stage for legends.

RC: What can we expect next from you?Tour, tour, tour! I want to play as many shows for as many music lovers as possible and promote Black Magic. I want to continue to travel the world and breathe fresh air into the classic sound that I love.


Jared James Nichols releases his new studio album “Black Magic” on Friday 27thOctober via Listenable Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment