google5fdb2843fc4f1b5b.html Rock Chic: An interview with blues guitarist and singer Laurence Jones

Tuesday 16 January 2018

An interview with blues guitarist and singer Laurence Jones


With new album The Truth out in March and a busy year ahead, we managed to grab Laurence Jones for a chat before he heads out on tour.
Interview by Adrian Ball
Photo credit: Christie Goodwin

Did you have a good Christmas and New Year? 
It was really good thank you! I managed to spend some time with the family, which was great.

We really enjoyed the new album and can’t wait to see you out on the road later in the year. What drives you to pick up the guitar and create each day?
Being inspired by life really, the everyday things that happen.  Especially with blues music; it’s an expression of how you feel. Listening to other peoples’ stories about relationships, about life…the song The Truth on the new album questions what your life would be like be like if things were different.

The vocals really stood out on the album - was there a specific approach?
I had a great vocal coach out in the USA. The songs are written around the vocals and I want people to sing along to them, you know?

Did you manage to travel whilst recording?
We managed to experience Miami on this album and it was great having an American producer, Gregory Elias, who really managed to combine the US and English sound.  It gave us a great opportunity to mix styles when the whole band is British, so it mixed it up a little.

Do you have a favourite guitar to use or does that depend on the style of the song?
I grab whatever is closest to me initially, haha, but I do use different guitars for different songs, yes. But I couldn’t pick a favourite…that’s like picking a favourite child.  I write songs how and when I feel them, that’s what I love about song writing. It’s such a natural process.  On this album I wanted to do something different, I’m not scared of change.  Underneath all the types of songs is still blues guitar and vocals.

Which artists are you listening to?
Black Country Communion.  I went to see them at Hammersmith recently and met Glenn (Hughes) and Joe (Bonamassa) and it was a great concert.  John Mayer and Gary Clarke Junior are other artists I listening to.  

Any guilty pleasures?
I don’t know…probably. I don’t know if to say! The new Harry Styles is amazing. I didn’t want to listen to it due to his One Direction roots haha, but I’m actually blown away by it.  He’s made a great album and I respect him way more because of that.

Do you have a wish list of artists that you’d like to work with?
Oh, definitely. It has to be Jon Mayer, Eric Clapton and Gary Clark Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment