google5fdb2843fc4f1b5b.html Rock Chic: Interview: Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Tuesday 21 May 2019

Interview: Kenny Wayne Shepherd


Interview by Annette Valentine
Photo credit: Mark Seliger
The new album from The Kenny Wayne Shepherd band The Traveler is out on 31stMay via Mascot Label Group. This album shows the hero we call Kenny at his all-time greatest, with his fingerprint firmly on the fret.
On tour to showcase the new material,  we caught up with the platinum-selling artist for a firing-on-all-cylinders interview.
RC: Who is in the line-up for this album, Kenny?
There’s Noah Hunt on vocals, me on guitar, Bassist Kevin McCormick, Chris Layton on drums, Keyboard Jimmy McGorman and Joe Krown. Noah is singing six out of ten songs -  I’m doing four out of ten.
RC: Who wrote the songs?
I wrote all the songs except the two cover songs. I write with long time collaborators.
RC: There’s been a noticeable change in your style….
I would say a little bit, definitely. I grew up with country music I listened to gospel, rock ‘n’ roll and jazz, so that is the foundation for everything I do.
RC: How is it being a father of six children and married to Hannah (actor Mel Gibsons  daughter)?
I love my wife and I’m very happy, you know, with six wonderful children, four girls and two boys.
RC: Is Mel Gibson a frequent visitor?
Sure, he comes round all the time! We both live in Los Angeles.
RC: How do you feel about your country roots?
Well in the State of Louisiana, where Elvis Presley came from, I grew up with all genres. I always gravitated towards the blues, I don’t know why. It’s more honest and comes from the heart; everybody can listen to that. You never forget where you came from.
RC: You are one of the world class guitar players - would you agree with that?
Well I appreciate that, it’s the practice that is key.
RC: You’re not selfish with your music; you share what you’ve learned and carry the torch.
You acknowledge what you pick up from others and pass it on, yeh that’s how it goes in my experience.
RC: How do you make it look so easy?
It takes a lot of practice. You don’t wake up one day and learn to play guitar.
RC: Have you ever hung out with Eric Clapton when you’ve been jamming in places?
Yeah I met Eric when I was fourteen years old. We were staying in the same hotel and I asked if he would jam with me. He respectfully declined as he was with guests, but he did say , if you keep playing guitar, at some point well jam together. So that one day came several years ago when a friend, Hubert Sumlin, passed away. We got together at the Apollo for a tribute concert in 2012; a lot of good players that night.
RC: You talk about deconstructing and reassembling from your icons, absorbing their talent, but not copying. Finding your own sound.
Well yeah, you have your influences, but you don’t want to be someone you’re not, but to change it to your sound.
RC: You effortlessly let your songs sing themselves…..
Yeah let the songs tell their stories; every song is an opportunity to tell their story.
RC: Are you really self-taught?
Yeah, I’ve played since I was very young.
RC: Your grandmother bought you a plastic guitar with her savings stamps didn’t she?
That’s when I learnt my first note on a guitar, yeh.
RC: Did you cut the new Album at Echophone studios in Louisiana?
No, that’s closed now. It was at Neptune Valley Studios
RC: Do you still have your 1961 Sunburst guitar vintage black with white stripes?
Oh yeah, they can bury me with that guitar, I use it live and in the studio but I don’t take it on aeroplanes. It’s irreplaceable. That’s the last thing I would ever give up.
RC: What are your plans for the future?
Keep touring and sharing my music.

No comments:

Post a Comment